Go Back   Web Design & SEO Company > Knowledgebase

Knowledgebase Articles and information about running a website, cPanel and various hints and tips. Here you will find tutorials on php, MySql, .htaccess, cron, SEO, Search Engines, CHMOD, FTP, CSS, HTML and various other hints and tips on running and Administrating a website.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Default How To Backup a MySql Database

How To Backup a MySql Database

Since alot of people are unsure on how to make a backup of their MySql database, i thought i would put this quick and easy tutorial on how to make a backup.

This article focuses on using cPanel and PhpMyAdmin which is the most common environment people have on their shared hosting accounts. I've also taken screenshots making things very simple to follow. Making a backup of your MySql database is very important, and making regular backups is something every webmaster should do to prevent data loss in case something unexpectant happens.

Step 1: Log in to cPanel

From the main page, click on the MySql databases button.

Step 2: Enter phpMyAdmin

Scroll to the very bottom of the page, from there you will see a plain text link as seen in the following image. Click this to enter phpMyAdmin.

Step 3: Select Your Database

Now your in phpMyAdmin. Over on the left you will see a drop down list containing your databases on your cPanel account. Click this drop down and select your database you want to backup. In this case i'm choosing vb (as i'm due for a backup)

Step 4: Select All Tables

After you choose your database from the drop down menu, phpMyAdmin will load that database and show you a page of all the tables contained in it. Simply scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see a plain text link with "Select All" as illustrated in the picture.

Click this and phpMyAdmin will highlight all the database tables.

Step 5: Exporting The Database

Once you click the "Select All" scroll back to the top of the screen. From the top menu, click the "Export" tab highlighted in the picture.

Step 6: Export Options

Once you click the Export tab, phpMyAdmin will take you to a page with a number of Export options. You will see a white export box with your database tables listed, under this there's another "Select All" link as seen in the picture. Click this, and all your tables will be highlighted.

Step 7: Selecting backup type

Once you click the "Select All" box, scroll to the bottom of the screen. Tick the "Save As File" check box as seen in the following picture. Now lastly (phew) all you need to do is select what file type you wish to save your database as. Choosing "none" will save it as a .sql text file, it's not really a good idea for large databases.

You can also choose Zipped or Gzipped formats. I always choose the Gzipped option, as this compresses the database to it's smallest size.

Conclusion:

Hopefully this small tutorial is simple to follow (we all like pictures) and you managed to Export a backup of your database successfully. It's really not that hard, and after you have done this a few times you will be backing up your database like a pro without needing to look up this guide.

The frequency of your backups depends on how much new info is placed in to the database on a daily basis, and how important this information is. I backup Tareeinternet weekly, as i only put up a couple of tutorials every week so weekly suffices in this situation, however on an article website i own i back-up the database daily due to the large volume of new material submitted daily.

Also look out for my next one, Importing Your Database from a Backup.
Top SEO Tool
Harvester and Mass Blog Commenter
Blog Comment Software

Old 10-01-2008, 11:30 PM

Awesome tips..
Thanks for sharing...
Old 12-08-2008, 01:36 AM

very informative post. keep it up.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:37 PM

Hello admin

I would like to know how to backup MySql database with a simple unix cmmand from my shell on the host.
(since phpmyadmin times out if the databse is too big, the connection is shakey or for whatever reason it ends up incomplete and damaged)

Is there a simple command to do this?
And a simple command to restore?

Thank you
Old 07-14-2009, 02:10 PM

I connect to our MySQL server via MySQL Administrator and click the backup button
Old 08-16-2009, 11:00 AM

i always using Sypex SQL Dumper and bigdump they are good and very fast
Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 AM

You can use phpMyAdmin or MySQL Administrator to backup your data.

I find phpMyAdmin more functional and faster in performing tasks.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:25 AM

thanks for this great information, here would like mention about managed hosting. Managed hosting provides great prospects and being business entrepreneur you must understand the need of having good hosting providers. Application Hosting is new and advance concept.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:26 PM

It's really overwhelming learning without paying. skill is too good to present here like it. Thanks for the post.
Top SEO Tool
Harvester and Mass Blog Commenter
Blog Comment Software

Tools