Go Back   Web Design & SEO Company > Knowledgebase

Knowledgebase Articles and information about running a website, cPanel and various hints and tips. Here you will find tutorials on php, MySql, .htaccess, cron, SEO, Search Engines, CHMOD, FTP, CSS, HTML and various other hints and tips on running and Administrating a website.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Default How to Speed Up Outlook 2007

I’ve been using Outlook 2007 for a while now, and it has been running extremely slow on start up, and running slow in general.

Well, having 400+ RSS feeds isn’t helping, but why?

In my current configuration, I am connecting to exchange, and performing a send/receive all on the default configuration (which also includes the RSS feeds – ut oh). This operation also includes all client and server side rules for when mail arrives, etc.

So the first performance tip to speed things up, is to remove the RSS feeds from the default send/receive configuration. To do this, within outlook click Tools -> Options -> Mail Setup -> Send Receive.

What you will see here is a list of send/receive groups. There will be (by default) one group named All Accounts. Unfortunately for us, this also contains the RSS feeds. Select the All Accounts group, and click the Edit button. All of your email accounts will be listed down the left hand side, allowing you to configure each of them individually.

Click on the RSS account and you will be shown a check box at the top of the tab page allowing you to include or exclude this account as part of this send/receive group. You now have 2 options. You can either exclude every feed by unchecking the Include RSS Feeds in this Send/Receive group. What this will do though, is never sync up your RSS feeds until you manually tell outlook to do so. Your other option is to deselect all bar a few core feeds (say, maybe 5-10). This way all your core feeds will be received during startup/default sync but you won’t get bogged down by trying to receive 400 of them.

If you choose the latter preferred option, select the feeds you want to keep by default, then click OK. What you will want to do now is create a new group, which contains all of the excluded feeds, so that you can sync them up as nessecary. You might also want to categorize at this level. For instance, you may want to create a group for ‘My Work Mate’s Blogs’, and ‘SharePoint Community Blogs’.

To do this, click the New button, enter a name – “SharePoint Community Blogs” for instance, click OK. Select the RSS feed account again, then deselect all bar your SharePoint Community blogs (or whatever is relevant to that group). Click OK, then deselect the ‘include this group in send/receive (F9)’ so that you can keep it as a manual syncing group.

Click Close, then OK.

Click your Send/Receive button now and notice how lightning quick it is. It’s now excluding all of your RSS feeds (except the important ones you kept).

Now, when you are ready to read some blogs, click the send/receive drop down and choose the appropriate group you want to read, ie, your sharepoint blogs. This will now be synced up, and away you go!

Disable add-ins

Goto Tools - Trust Center and click the Add-ins tab. There's a GO button at the bottom of the dialog screen, click that button and uncheck (disable or even remove) the Outlook add-ins (like GoogleDesktop, iTunes Add-in, Acrobat PDF Maker, Mindjet Mindmanager, etc) that you no longer use.

[Do not disable the Windows Search Indexing addin]

Also another brilliant Add-in that is worth having and doesn't hog resources is Spam Bully. Download it and give it a try, it's saved me many hours in the few months i've had it.

If you have upgraded to Outlook 2007 from Outlook 2003 or XP, chances are that the old addin are not compatible with the new release and may be the reason behind the slugging performance of Outlook.

These should help you to Speed Office Up dramatically.

Update: 13th March 2009

Microsoft have released Microsoft Office 2007 SP2 (Service Pack 2) for their Office suite, and this service pack fixes and numbers of bugs and other issues however they have also addressed the slow performance problems.

The updates bring speed improvements with opening Office Outlook, previewing email, dealing with large .pst files and several other operations.

I've had SP2 installed for 2 weeks and have been quite impressed with the changes, and have not had any negative problems with the update. In addition to the tips on this page, hop over to Microsoft to ensure you have the latest SP2.

2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2) Download
Top SEO Tool
Harvester and Mass Blog Commenter
Blog Comment Software

SEO - Top

Web Design & SEO Forums