Go Back   Web Design & SEO Company > SEO

SEO Search Engine Optimization, this section lists articles and tutorials on Search Engine Optimization for various Search Engines including Google, Yahoo & MSN. We provide SEO hints, tips and other free goodies to help you optimize your site and to start ranking well in the Search Engines.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:16 AM

Question Google PR is not based on number of Backlinks

I have tested many websites in the past few days, Google's Page Rank is not based on nummber of backlinks to the sites.
I often see many SEO Experts say that Good PR can be obtained basis on backinks, i ask them HOW?

1)
I tested a website which is 7 years old and the site does not contain any meta tags, any content on the webpage (found only images without any ALT tags), number of backlinks are 10. But the site still holds Page Rank 3. Can a genuine SEO Expert answer this to me?

2)
I tested one more webiste, which is 1.3 years old and the site contains above average meta tags, but the number of backlinks to the site are 9 crores and 72 lacs types but the site still holds Page Rank 4. How is this possible? As per many articles written by various experts, if you hold above 1 crore backlinks to your site, then the PR would be above PR9 types.

Please I request only genuine SEO Experts answers this and rest excuse...
Top SEO Tool
Harvester and Mass Blog Commenter
Blog Comment Software

Old 05-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammrat View Post
I have tested many websites in the past few days, Google's Page Rank is not based on nummber of backlinks to the sites.
I often see many SEO Experts say that Good PR can be obtained basis on backinks, i ask them HOW?
Pagerank is not based on the number of backlinks, it's based on the strength and quality of your backlinks. For example if you had backlinks on:
  • Google.com
  • Yahoo.com
  • Adobe.com
  • Whitehouse.gov

There's a really good chance you would end up with a Pagerank 10 with only 4 links. Also age has no real direct connection with Pagerank, you can get PR6 with a 3 week old domain (I have done it) but the longer your site has been around the more time it's had to obtain links.

Quote:
I'm not an "SEO Expert", i believe the only experts are the handful of people who have complete access to the Google algo/code but.. I know enough about SEO to get the job done.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:24 PM

Ain't it amazing that the same thing was posted (and debunked) on SEO.com?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Yes, now that you mentioned it also on a few other places as well.

Let me guess, sammrat from mumbai will be joining Sitepoint as we speak to post the same thing?

There's some "odd" people out there.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 AM

Admin summed it up best, but why the debate over backlinks and PR? You really need both for credibility and for SERPS so it's not like you can separate the two completely.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 AM

Actually backlinks play a big role in having a PR in a website. It's not base on the numbers of backlinks you got but the strength of that backlink gives you. For example, you do have 100 backlinks but from PR0 or PR1 sites only. But your competitor have only 20 backlinks but from PR5 or PR8 sites. That makes the difference between the two.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammrat View Post

1)
I tested a website which is 7 years old and the site does not contain any meta tags, any content on the webpage (found only images without any ALT tags), number of backlinks are 10. But the site still holds Page Rank 3. Can a genuine SEO Expert answer this to me?

2)
I tested one more webiste, which is 1.3 years old and the site contains above average meta tags, but the number of backlinks to the site are 9 crores and 72 lacs types but the site still holds Page Rank 4. How is this possible? As per many articles written by various experts, if you hold above 1 crore backlinks to your site, then the PR would be above PR9 types.

This doubt or controversy raises in many minds.
But the fact is that, backlinks is the major factor for determining the Page rank but it is not the only factor. Considering all the other factors settling well, backlinks will be the primary factor.

And one more important thing is that, Google considers all the internal pages when considering the page rank.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
Pagerank is not based on the number of backlinks, it's based on the strength and quality of your backlinks. For example if you had backlinks on:
  • Google.com
  • Yahoo.com
  • Adobe.com
  • Whitehouse.gov

There's a really good chance you would end up with a Pagerank 10 with only 4 links. Also age has no real direct connection with Pagerank, you can get PR6 with a 3 week old domain (I have done it) but the longer your site has been around the more time it's had to obtain links.

I'm not an "SEO Expert", i believe the only experts are the handful of people who have complete access to the Google algo/code but.. I know enough about SEO to get the job done.
I completely agree with This. Moreover Dear Page Rank is not that Important. The Thing that is important is your Search Engine Ranking and the target traffic that may benefit you. So don't focus on Page Rank Too Much.

Keep Up the Hard Work
Top SEO Tool
Harvester and Mass Blog Commenter
Blog Comment Software

Tools