Go Back   Web Design & SEO Company > SEO

SEO Search Engine Optimization, this section lists articles and tutorials on Search Engine Optimization for various Search Engines including Google, Yahoo & MSN. We provide SEO hints, tips and other free goodies to help you optimize your site and to start ranking well in the Search Engines.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:12 PM

Default Basic SEO Practices for Any Page

Basic SEO practices is very easy and only takes a minute or two. There is no reason for NOT doing it. I do this for all of my sites regardless if it is just a one page landing page, a small 5 page mini site, or a full blown 100+ page site.

1. Meta Title tag - The Title meta tag is used in the search engine results when people search for stuff, and appears on the first line in the results. It is the blue clickable line. The words used should include your main keywords/phrase. Try to have your keywords appear first, followed by an interesting catchy phrase. An easy way to do this is to just put your main keyword phrase first, followed by the pipe symbol | and then your text. For example:

cure your acne | Discover how to cure your acne in 3 days. Guaranteed or your money back!

Each page should have a different title and be based off the content of that particular page.

2. Meta Description tag - This tags is also used in the search engine results and appears as the content underneath the Title. Use your main keywords as close to the beginning of the tag as you can. Describe the contents of the page and make it as interesting as you can. Remember, when a person searches for something, and your site shows up in the results, your Title and Description tag is all they have to go on and that will determine whether or not they visit your site. As with the Title tag, each page should have a different description and be based off the content of that particular page.

3. The Keyword meta tag is not used by all search engines but is reported to be used by some, Yahoo for example. The fact of the matter is that nobody knows for sure. So, I play it safe and use it. This tag should contain the keywords you are trying to rank for and those keywords must appear in the text of that page. Separate each keyword with a comma. Don't stuff this tag with every keyword in your list. Normally, one or two is all you will need.

4. H1, H2, and H3 tags - Believe it or not, the search engines do pay attention to these tags. Your H1 tag will normally be the title of the page, but can be anything you make it. Only have 1 h1 tag on a page. Never have more than one!!

The H2 tags are basically sub-headings like you have in an outline or table of contents. You can have as many of these as you like, but don't use them unless you need them. The H2 tags should be related to the H1 tag. If you only have one or two sentences, I would not use the H2 tags. Google is smart enough to figure out that you are only using them to satisfy the bots, and he won't like it) Remember, write naturally, and provide good content. Don't write for the bots, write for the public.

H3 tags normally aren't necessary, but use them if they are needed and make sense. Again, if you do use them, the header must be related to the h1 and h2 tags.

That is all you need to do for very basic SEO practices. There is a whole lot more to be considered when optimizing your site, but if you don't do the above, the other stuff doesn't matter anyway.

Good luck!!

Zeek
Top SEO Tool
Harvester and Mass Blog Commenter
Blog Comment Software

Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM

Nice Article very useless especially to my new site...
Old 09-29-2009, 08:14 PM

Nice information... It is really helpful..
Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 AM

Default Basic SEO practices

I just want to add to the above information that- where ever you use image tag, dont forget to write its alt tag. It also helps in SEO.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 AM

Default On-Page SEO

Thanks for your useful information.
And I think On-Page SEO is very much important for a site's promotion.
Top SEO Tool
Harvester and Mass Blog Commenter
Blog Comment Software

Tools